5 Ways to Stay Motivated When Starting a Business
Starting a business is very challenging for most people. Not having a plan and clear goals are two of the most common reasons why people fail at getting their business off the ground. Many people love the thought of being their own boss. The freedom of running your own business sounds exciting; however, it takes motivation, discipline and following through to be successful. Here are a few ways to stay motivated while starting your next business venture:
- Find Your “Why”: Write down why you want to start a business. This is a reminder of what your true reason and motivation are for making a change. Your “why” keeps you moving forward when things get tough or you’re having a bad day.
- Set Specific “Goals”: Write down at least 3 – 5 short-term goals with specific deadlines for reaching them. Have 2 long-term goals to reach for. Break your goals down into weekly tasks. Track your progress. Each step forward increases your interest and your confidence.
- Connect with a “Mentor”: We all look up to and admire someone who has had success. Reach out to that person for advice and counsel. Learn from their successes and failures.
- Say “No” to Negativity: When external events prevent you from reaching a goal, try not to fall into a negative mindset that will cause you to lose motivation. Surround yourself with positive influences, friends, and colleagues who are supportive through the good times and the tough times.
- Start a “Routine”: Start every day with a routine. This will help your mind and body be alert, focused and prepared to create new habits. Spend time reviewing your plan and make a list of what you need to do that day or week.
Too many people wait to feel motivated before they do anything. The truth is, happy productive people do not wait to “feel” motivated, they just get to work. “To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business and your business in your heart” – Thomas Watson